Tuesday 14 September 2010

Featured Album: Light Me Up - The Pretty Reckless

Now, here at Tantrum we're all perfectly happy with who we are... but there are days where a couple of us have expressed the desire to be Taylor Momsen; I for one would be more than happy to embrace the lifestyle of a 17 year old rockstar. With this desire in mind, I picked up the new album and turned up the volume.

Repeated listening to the album has convinced me there are definite merits to it, the undeniable highlight being the delicious Make Me Wanna Die, yet I can't shake the feeling that there's something lacking at the heart of it. This brand of rebellion should kick start you into escaping from your life and starting a rock and roll band, but I feel vaguely unshaken.

That's not to say that it's not a great album - in fact, I can't pick out a single song that I really dislike. In fact, the opposite is true - My Medicine and Nothing Left To Lose are quite possibly two of the best songs I've heard in a while. However, the only tangible flaw I can find is that the guitar in Just Tonight is more than a little reminiscent of Hole's Someone Else's Bed - a band they might not want to invite the natural comparisons with.

The Pretty Reckless prove with this album that they're more than just yet another publicity vehicle of a bored actress, yet I can't escape the feeling that this album is more the stand of an anti-hero for the Hannah Montana generation than for those who have old school rock burning in their veins.

If you want a wide variety of genres done with impeccable style, this is the album for you. If you want something with a little more soul... well, I'm sure you don't need me to tell you that dear readers.


Light Me Up, the debut album from The Pretty Reckless.
Available on itunes or on Amazon here.